Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A lil bumpy

My teaching intuition is as sharp as its going to be for the time being. I like to do a few demos in front of the class, but they seem to fall short of something exciting. I get the ones who are starting to annoy me involved. That just ends up keeping them hyper when they are back in their seat. I need something to get them to pipe down when they are supposed to. As soon as I know how a simple detention is followed through, I'll be fine. Surprisingly for a mixed culture, I am getting the same problem from various groups. I get complaints that they are thinking too much. That makes me happy whether that is good or bad for me in the end. If it is the ones who really want to give me trouble during their class, then my job is going along smoothly.
My planning is etchy, I know the major concepts I want to get across for the week, and then it breaks down when its showtime. Hopefully as the weeks progress, my planning goes exactly how it should. The good news is that my bag of tricks is still full, and the planning vs showtime difference works in my favor since I am breaking stuff down more for my students rather than jumping from one major concept to the next.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the Site! Its nice to hear someone with the same growing pains! First year Physics in Texas. I think “thinking too much” is always a good thing. It says they haven’t given up on the challenge.

    ReplyDelete

Please be formal. If you have the urge to leave an informal message, please just email it to me. Thank You, and thank you for viewing my blog. Your input is appreciated.

JC