Saturday, January 22, 2011

I'm OK

OK, I apologize for not keeping up with this. Let's go through an update shall we...

School: VOISE Academy High School, very new, very CPS!
Grade: Juniors (maybe not by credit count, but they have been here 3 years, and for those who graduate next year will become the first graduating class of this institution. Those who do graduate I severely admire.

Subject: Physics, just Physics, so it makes it really nice to prepare for one subject rather than 3 of them at once.

Colleagues: I'd eat fire for them.

I've come to a point in all this and realized that Physics is hard, especially now when I am trying to teach it to west side Chicago kids that may not have had a strong academic upbringing. When I took it in high school, everything clicked. It made sense, and I can do the work in a snap. This morning I can only think of two students in that class with me when I was younger who had maybe a minor struggle with it. One tried to audio record the lesson, and I might have helped him once or twice, and the other I never talked to. We all might have done a Lab experiment together at some time, but I do not remember how it went for them. If I were to see my teacher, I would like to ask him how he did this with struggling students.

Things would work out easier if I could understand the students better on a more social level. Not know them but understand them, like why they act the way they do and for the ones with issues, how come they do not know better, and when we tell them it's wrong they still don't get it? A sour attitude is not necessary to someone trying to build a better future for them.

I do give thanks for the respectful ones that have to put up with my anguish to the others. The good news is IF I survive this class, everything would turn out for the better for the years to come, but that's why they say IF.

I am just trying to go with the flow around here, It's easier for a lot of teachers here, that's why I wrote this. Again, these teachers are great and they may not have a minor struggle like I do.
Hopefully it's just lack of motivation that's going on is all.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be formal. If you have the urge to leave an informal message, please just email it to me. Thank You, and thank you for viewing my blog. Your input is appreciated.

JC