Wednesday, March 2, 2011

You need to make some magic happen

I am blogging to blog right now, but I am trying to get out there what I am going through.
Also I found out that I am part of another New Teacher program which I am sort of alright with. Let's put on more work for the first year teachers that have enough going on as it is. More blogging might be required. Sweet!

Anyways, I have to find a way to raise test scores or I am out of a job. Hopefully that is not entirely accurate. Let's try to work some miracles. I have a variety of issues with the students on trying to get this accomplished.

There are a few students that do not want to get help from me when I go near them. These problem children have some rough stuff going on I guess if their attitudes suck when you try to be nice to them.

Another student who had higher scores before with practice exams told me the other day that he decided to get high before taking the test. This would have to be my fault. Really?

I will take blame for some things, but not for that. What we might put in for the students is that it is never their fault, well, not directly. My issue is that they are given so many rights with little responsibility.

We had this awesome plan of "team" action, but the "season" is coming to an end and some are not getting geared for anything. I want to help them succeed, but their inner struggles interfere with that.

I saw this TED video my roommate posted the other day. I agree with much of it, but it is difficult to see it come into play for my students. It's a very interesting bunch. There are times they perform, but for most of them, it is never at the right time.

The only epiphany I reached this week was that if there is a student is notorious for being a school-wide problem, DO NOT TAKE WHAT THEY SAY SERIOUSLY. Especially when it comes to talking about your class. They have nothing to lose, and will only try to get you to lose more as their only form of gain.

3/5/11
Today was AWESOME! It's saturday but the students came in (some of them) to catch up on work and get more attention to do it. I bring food for stuff like this, it makes things go a little better. I saw a few of my students "make some magic happen" by improving their grades nearly 20%. They hung out, had to keep them on task now and then, and got really upset when I had to leave early. Bummer. I like it when they make some magic happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be formal. If you have the urge to leave an informal message, please just email it to me. Thank You, and thank you for viewing my blog. Your input is appreciated.

JC