Friday, November 14, 2008

Behind closed doors

it felt like real life and I didn't even know it until after steve came back at the end of the classroom. There was one class where he left, and the students thought they didn't have to learn anything today. I appreciate those who were patient during my lecture pauses, but it's the ones I look down on that have shaped my philosophy of teaching. It was too bad that those who are more mature had to suffer with the wicked.  I tried my best to weed out those who think they can have their own world going on in my classroom, but if I am ready to teach, and the students want to keep yapping away, that's fine since I control the grades.  I turn it on them to take action and act more respectable in a classroom.  Enter the power-trip.  It was best that I stopped trying for the day and turned the class period (with 15 minutes left) into a reading assignment with a handful of questions to be turned in on monday.  The wicked wont do it.  The mature ones know better and they will come out okay in my class, especially if the wicked shape up.  They use to be one of my favorite periods, not so much anymore.  My last period was wonderful.  Time flew, I got through my lecture, did my demonstrations, they had time to work on the assignment, double extra credit points, the whole nine yards for how a classroom should be managed.  Then Steve walked in, and I apologized he missed it.  The part I want to get across is that I dont regret any of the actions I took for any of the periods I taught.  I am just trying to set them up for success in the long run, and it is not my problem if they choose to head down a path that will ruin them.  That sounds a lil harsh, and didn't come out the way I wanted to say it, but my naive beliefs as a teacher are slowly disappearing into what its really like to be a teacher.  The bad news is that I feel fine, the good news is that it gets better.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jer!

    I have 15 years experience (1/2 of them at your school)and I want you to know that it is inevitable that your "best" class WILL become your "worst" class for the first 5+ years of teaching. You are in the " I hope I'm cool, kind of a friend, young and smart" phase of your teaching! Once you get rid of the fear of hurting the feelings of your students (even the really good, smart, nice ones)- the sooner you'll reap the benefits of respect and a genuine teacher/student relationship with your students. Don't think this will happen over night. Live and grow into your profession- every missed opportunity is a gained lesson. Sometimes the most important lessons aren't the ones that involve Physics- they are the ones that enable us to grow as people!

    One more thing.... remember- your students can be classified into more than the two categories you are talking about: wicked or mature. Start noticing some of the other categories and it will help you! Have you thought about having a "mini conference" with all of your students one day to get to talk to them one on one!? Sometimes you can make a connection with your students that way. Some of the students don't have an adult in their life who will take the time to talk to them. Just a thought.......P.S. Come on....no mention of free food once in a while from me? That's it! Back to PB&J for you! Oh yeah- thanks for the pumpkin pie the other day! Just what I needed on a crazy, busy day!

    ReplyDelete

Please be formal. If you have the urge to leave an informal message, please just email it to me. Thank You, and thank you for viewing my blog. Your input is appreciated.

JC