Monday, October 6, 2008

First Full Day

My foot hurts, but I think I strained my arch from running this weekend.   It made me walk a lil funny around the classroom during the afternoon . Though today was different in another way.  Right at the beginning of the morning bell to the end of my seventh period, I was in charge, teaching.  For the first time I had all five periods to teach, each with a set plan.  Some worked better than others.  The bad news is that I feel fine.  The good news is that it gets better!  I even had a few of my own announcements.  One started with a story, telling them where I lived (Palos Heights) and that one Saturday I rode my bike from my house all the way to Uptown which is a mile north of Wrigley Field.  On the way I took a professional teacher's exam here at Bogan.  The announcement was that this weekend I found out I passed that exam so as long as student teaching runs smoothly for me, I should be able to teach anywhere I want in January and actually get paid.  This brought a lot of attention to the students to make them realize that I dont get paid.  The sympathy moment lasted only as long as it took for them to realize it, which im not surprised.   A substitute could have walked in and he could get paid to sit there while I taught the class.  Funny how the system works.
I have been grading a lot, I like it.  Be sure not to overwhelm yourself because it could happen.  I would be able to give everything back tomorrow if only I was able to get on the grading system at home would then all my work be finished and cut out for the next couple of days.  Oh Well.  I will catch up.  As of now its just punching numbers into a computer.
   The inquiry based teaching is not cutting out as well as I hoped,  Luckily I am in my beginning naive style of teaching, so it gets better!  It's not that I am getting to them, but it is a little harder for them being underdeveloped to comprehend full inquiry-based physics, so in the end I give a little more information than I should when they ask a question.  By a little more information, it's almost the answer.  There is just not enough time for them to get through all of it when I demonstrate concepts that way.  Hopefully this is only going on with the regular students and not my IB (International Baccalaureate).  They have to receive a more open-ended type of education.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be formal. If you have the urge to leave an informal message, please just email it to me. Thank You, and thank you for viewing my blog. Your input is appreciated.

JC