Sunday, September 21, 2008

3rd Week

I just finished my third week of student teaching. The only thing I can say is that these students need help, in a good way! I am starting to identify those who are just a little under educated with those who are plain ignorant, and to all of those teachers out there, no matter where you go, expect both! What is funny is that you need both! The ignorant ones are those who keep me on my toes with practicing (1) who is in charge, and (2) how school policy is listed and conducted. I do my best to keep all of the students in the class room, ALMOST regardless of their behavior. I had no problem booting students out of the classroom for repeated offenses. They are looking for a line to cross. Let them cross that line, but show them you can support your side with authority as long as they have not seen the limit to your power. I have already thrown down the hammer. The students were very well aware, but they have not seen what they want to come across. This does seem like bit of a power trip but there is always the chance for the students to test your limit. A note from my mentor: If the IDEA to call their parents comes up when you have already ESTABLISHED all possible ground rules (meaning no new rules come up on the fly) CALL THE PARENTS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be formal. If you have the urge to leave an informal message, please just email it to me. Thank You, and thank you for viewing my blog. Your input is appreciated.

JC